Sunday, May 26, 2013

Brugge and the Ecuadorian Mouse

What is up, my friends?

    Dylan and I have been tornado-ing through Europe and at last I have another chance to let you in on our adventure. We arrived in Brugge sometime last week... (I easily lose track of time and dates over here.) On the train to town we met a little, little girl named Andrea.  Cute as hell, so we took the time to chat her up and learn a little about where she comes from.  She was born in Ecuador and now goes to school as a Florida Gator.  She was a smart girl and is traveling alone which was the most surprising.  I mean, you can literally put her inside of her own suitcase.  We took the bus together and dropped her off at her hostel.
  After we left her to do her own thing we ended up getting lost in Brugge while we tried to find our hostel.  The funny thing is, Brugge is like a 30 minute walk from one end to the other.  Fail.... Despite our loss, we stopped and asked a local guy if he could point us in the right direction.  We had left the city walls, haha.  He was a nice guy and without hesitation said "hop in".  So, we got in this guys back seat only to find that his 1 year old son was just chilling in the passenger seat.  He gave us tips for Amsterdam and told us a couple of stories. Nice guy.  While we were in the car he plugged his nose and said "I'm sorry... I believe my son made a shit in his pants.."  I almost cried it was so funny.
  The Charlie Rocket is a bar/hostel and it is where we stayed for our time in Brugge.  You walk in and your in a pub.  Registration is the bar/bartender and the rooms are above.  Very convenient.  Once we got settled into our room we headed back to Andrea's hostel for happy hour.  1 beer for 1 Euro. Pretty good stuff.  We sat with her and met two guys from Portugal and drank the night away.  We all left happy our when the deal was over and headed back to the Charlie Rocket for the futbol match.  It was the local team playing so the atmosphere, as with all futbol games in Europe, was amazing.  When the game was over things got sloppy.  We met a Hispanic Belgian guy named Alejandro.  He was originally trying to get us to go to some party but we ended up sharing stories and lives and found out he and his girlfriend have been saving for 5 years to move to America.  This guy wants to head to California and make himself useful so he can gain citizenship one day and start a pastry/waffle business.  I don't know if we will meet again but I hope it is in Cali.
    Lastly, we met Leo.  He was our bartender. One big ass dude. He has been kick-boxing for the last 8 years so it made sense that he was so jacked.  At the end of the first night Dylan and I were the last customers, so Leo spent 20 minutes teaching us how to beat the snot out of anyone we wanted.  I hope I never need the information, but if I do, I hope it works.
    The last night in Brugge, or second night, however you want to read it, was just as exciting. We went to happy hour again at our new friends hostel and then returned to our bar for a concert.  The musicians were from New York and put on one hell of a show.  The lead singer was a girl and she tore it up.  You'll see her picture soon. Brugge was a diamond in the rough on this trip. Tiny little city with a lot to give back.

More to come...
Nick Ras
























No comments:

Post a Comment