Thanks to my LOVING MOTHER, we were able to stay in the hotel for free. It was a nice change of pace for us to have our own room with actual beds..well one bed, but it sure was nice. The hotel, like most hotels in Venice was tiny. There were only 6 rooms and only 3 workers. The guy who showed us to our room and checked us in was the owner and he was extremely nice and very animated, so naturally we got along very well. Our budget was becoming limited due to the fact that the trip was coming to and end. We also knew that it was a safe bet to assume we would "break the bank" in Rome, so we were saving for that. In order to maintain this cheap lifestyle we bought cheap wine and cheap food to maintain nutritional requirements. Wine, crackers, salami, olives, juice, and not shown here, bread.
![]() |
| Dyl demonstrating our eating habits in Venice |
Center note: We walked into what we thought was a grocery store...Not. It was the Nebraska furniture store of Italy.
Also: We have noticed on this trip that Lamborgini cars can park wherever the hell they want.
![]() |
| This is directly in the walkway coming out of the mall. 100% not a parking spot. More to come on this phenomenon. |
Since we did not have any real fun that morning and afternoon we headed out for the bars at night to blow some of this money we were trying to save. Not four minutes into our first beer we met Nick and Liz. They are lawyers from Chicago and were traveling on vacation after attending a wedding in London. It was nice to talk to some young Americans in Venice, so at the end of the night we set a time the following evening to meet again at the same bar.
The next day we walked all over the city and took pictures, people watched, photo bombed other tourists, and just had a solid day in the sun. Afterwards, we bought three bottles of wine and headed back for dinner before we met Nick and Liz again. Thus, the beginning of the night that never happened.
The whole idea behind the bottles of wine was to get a good buzz going before we met up with the lawyers. We thought maybe that would deter us from over spending at the bar. Not only was that absolutely in inaccurate, but we were far more than buzzed. We were a little slow to start on the dinner so 45 minutes before we were to meet Nick and Liz we had to chug all the wine. Variable 1 as to why "it never happend". At 9 we made it out to "our spot" and ordered a beer. The four of us talked for hours and hours... The exact number of hours I truly do not know. The whole time we took turns buying rounds for each other and from what I remember we were downing that Peroni rather fast, variable 2.
Somewhere around 2 hours in, Nick(not me) and Dylan noticed two beautiful American girls in their early twenties sitting at a table very close to us. I was in the bathroom and when I returned to our table the count was 6. The girls were from California and that is the only information I have on them. Soon after they got there I went in to buy a round of shots (variable 3), and the 6 of cheers and downed them...
Sometimes when your memory is faded from a night out on the town you
can only remember snapshots or specific scenes from the night. For me,
on the night that never happened, that cheers is one of them. I remember we had lemon drops
and I remember all of us putting our little shots together in a circle and toasting, I think, to Venice.
Then my memory is just black... for how long. I have no idea.
The next thing I know, I'm with one of the girls on a bridge, twirling her around, dancing, and singing to her. I have no idea how we got to that point, but I think things could have gone worse. Dylan is also there, and he is with the other girl. We were all in that plaza having a grand old time being drunk and young and stupid. Then it is dark again. The way Dylan remembers it, the girl I was with had to leave for Cali the next day so they finally left our side somewhere around 4 in the morning. After we split up, Dylan and I spent the next hour and a half wondering the streets because we had NO idea where we were. Finally as if by some miracle, we ended up in our alley looking up at....
By the time we finally made it up to our room it was around 5:30 am and the sun was starting to rise. I have absolutely no idea how long we wondered those streets but I am very glad we made it back alive.
![]() |
| Kind of funny that the Queen of chicken (mom) picked this hotel without knowing that. ..and yes that does make me the Prince of Chicken... Respect |
Nick and Liz,
I have no idea where you guys went that night, or when you left. I hope to the heavens that we did not do anything to stupid in front of, or to you. We loved having you as company on both of those nights and appreciate the drinks you bought. We may not remember much of that night but I know we enjoyed it so I hope you did as well. If you are reading this and have any information on the mystery California girls Dylan and myself would love to know. My email is ngrmb3gmail.com if for some reason your version of the story is so disgusting it is not appropriate for the public, haha. Also, when we visit Chicago next, we should all have a drink, if we are still kosher!
Thanks again, and all the luck in the world to you.
After that night of wine, beer, and booze Dylan and I needed a day of rest and we got it. All we could piece together was what I just explained and a few minor details. We talked to the bartender at our bar and found out we did not leave until around 130 am. That shot I wrote about previously happened somewhere in the realm of 11 pm. He was laughing at our loss of memory and still served us happily so we can assume things probably went well during our stay at the bar. Since we were still happy and smiling with the girls at 4 am, its safe to assume we were not complete jackasses. Other than that, the rest is a mystery...including the girls, of which we have no names or any information. So....our search would be rather broad..."girls from California. One blonde, one brunette." BAHAHAHAHA..just straight silliness.
Mystery girls,
If in some crazy event you ever read this blog... Thanks for the memories, ish. What we remember we loved, and what we forgot I assume we loved as well. Maybe one day we will see you again, but most likely not. You will forever be a staple in our Euro Trip 2013 and for that we are eternally grateful. Thanks for making Venice all the better. Keep up the good work!
Nick and Dylan
Enjoy!
![]() |
| the lobby in our hotel... Thatss the whole lobby stairs are just to the right of the picture. haha |
![]() |
| when you don't have a bottle opener, you just use a door handle |
![]() |
| The typical meal in Venice for us. Backpackin fool. |
































Hahahaha hi! I'm the brunette from California that you danced with :)
ReplyDeleteThat's crazy! How did you find this? My email is ngrmb3@gmail.com, you should message me
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete